Tuesday, June 23, 2009

‘An Ella Tune’

“Tenderly” ©
by Pérez

I knew nothing about you
Except that you reminded me of an Ella tune

How you began, what you do, what makes you swoon
The taste of your lips, the strength of your hips
Raisins in your cookies or chocolate chips

None of that I knew about you
Except that you reminded me of an Ella tune

Morning person or night owl,
Little bath scrub or wash towel
What brought you joy as a child

I knew so little about you
Except that you reminded me of an Ella tune

A passing ship in the night
A spoiled child always looking to fight
A lady ready to love me back with all of her might

How you would respond to my love I had not a clue
But I knew that you reminded me of an Ella tune

If I gave, ¿would you take?
And if you took, ¿would you reciprocate?
If I needed your warmth, ¿would you make me wait?

There was so much I did know about you
Except that you reminded me of an Ella tune

I wanted to know
I needed to know
I sought out to know

When the morning arose, ¿would you still be in my room?
¿Would you linger a while and stay with me .. like an Ella tune?